Monday, November 5, 2012

Field Test Tomorrow

After the last month of 15x1 and 30x30 power intervals we'll see where my power zones should be heading into the winter months with the 2x8 minute field test tomorrow. Afetr a 10-15 minute warmup I'll ride 2x8 minute efforts, all out, above time trial pace with about 10 minutes between efforts. The average power from these will be used to calculate my functional threhold power and from there all of my zones from recovery to endruance to tempo to steady state to CR/TT. Last time we did this I was around 370 on each. Hard to say where I'll be on these but I'll set the target wattage for that power and try to hold the cadence around 105-107. Ideally the training since the end of the time trial season has added to my ability to ride well above threshold. I get frequent comments from other riders regarding that 'lactic acid' burn during these efforts at maximum intensity. To be correct, this is really not a lactate issue as lactate is actually beneficial to the process of producing energy in the mucles. That burn is actually hydrogen ions being released. Training should improve your ability to remove the hydrogen ions and also produce more energy. The feeling doens't go away---you just learn to move through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy