Sunday, October 21, 2012

Crankenstein

I love riding time trials and I love long rides. You'd think combining them would be pretty easy. I know I thought that, and I was wrong. There were ten 3 man teams at Crankenstein. The first two laps started with a mass start. The first rider to complete the 22+ miles was back in 51:40 or so, or about 25.9 mph. Our first rider was about 3 minutes behind this. No big deal as our second rider f had us in second place when he finished his two laps. I was on the course but still about 4 minutes or more behind the lead rider. He just recently won the national championship time trial so he was destined to put more time into the lead. I was looking at 5 laps, the first two solo, and what turned out to be 57 miles total for all five. My two laps took around 53-54 minutes and we completed our 3 laps in about 1:20:00 or 26 minutes per lap. This did include one stop for a bathroom break for one of the riders on our team. It was actually nice to slow down the pace for a bit. As a team we completed the 100+ miles in 4:01:00 or so and took second place overall. A couple of things I learned: tt bike setup/position for shorter courses isn't the best for long courses; bars need to come up and saddle may need to go lower; the neck discomfort was pretty annoying definitely need to train for this: I really didn't do anything specific; the recent power intervals have been a challenge but some specific long tt efforts might have helped at this distance its not so much a matter of a super high heart rate, since I can't hold it in zone 5 that long anyway, but the muscular endurance needed is now obvious; quads and gluteus were and still are sore; I haven't felt like this since the 225 mile one day ride across Kentucky last year These long time trials will never be my forte or a primary goal but they are fun to try. I'd do this one again but will make some changes to the bike and to my training heading into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy