Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Another day of 15x1's and Weight Training

Did another 15x1 minute power intervals with an average for all fifteen of 489 watts. Two more days of these this week before the Crankenstein team tt on Sunday. These never get easier, Ideally you just add more power. Had a high of 517 and a low of 454. Used the course at Ault Park. Have also started to ramp up the weight training. While I keep it going all year I do start to increase the time spent each week lifting through the winter months. I primarily use free weights for lunges, squats, curls, presses, etc and also use benches, boxes and Bosu's to vary the workouts. I also throw in a lot of pushups, chin-ups, pull-ups, planks, etc. If you have free weights you can do all of these at home. I rarely sue machines that isolate muscles or just aren't good for us. In that realm I include the Smith Machine, the leg press and leg extension machines. They have you move in unnatural motions, put too much pressure on your back, and have put too much pressure on the ligaments of your knee respectively. I would also avoid the clean and jerk and Olympic dead lift (and other similar exercises) unless you're properly trained. I have a lot of people ask about some of the high intensity exercise programs like CrosstFit. While it has some benefits I've seen too many dangerous moves (see above) or just stupid workouts (45 minutes of squats---are you kidding??) to make them worthwhile. The same goes for TRX. I think its a great option, especially for vacation or home use or to add variety at the gym. I don't think its any better than a program that you can put together with free weights incorporating plyometrics, balance exercises, etc. My opinion is that our muscles don;t know and don't care how they are worked. They simply respond to being stressed and allowed to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy