Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ohio Senior Olympics 5k Time Trial

For this 3.1 mile went the race organizers had originally planned an out and back course. Given the traffic on the proposed road and the number of riders that would be on the road at 30 seconds intervals they opted to use a shortened version of the 10k course. We had three right hand turns with one longer side of the rectangle into the wind and the finish with the wind behind us. With a short event the warmup needs to be pretty long. There isn't any time once you start to 'get into it', you just have to go hard so I spent an hour riding with several of 30 second all out efforts about 15 minutes from my start time. I like a flat stretch of road for the 30 second efforts where I can get my speed up to 32-34 mph, take 15 seconds off and repeat. Five or 6 of those usually does the job. Like the day before, I was the 11th rider off. The first turn came after maybe a quarter of a mile and then we had the stretch into the wind. My average speed was already around 28 mph in the first 90 seconds. The next turn to us to the back stretch and into a strong cross to headwind. I passed the first of three riders on this section. The next turn put the wind behind us. I was holding about 30-32 mph to the finish and crossed the line somewhere between 6:30 and 6:40. I didn't check until well after the finish. Average speed was still on the way up but I was above 28.5 on the way to the finish line. Like the day before the posted times were wrong, again. Rather than being 30 seconds faster they were a full minute slower. The finish order was correct, and I won the gold, but I think we all want to know are correct times. I'm pretty sure that we had two riders as no-shows but the people working the finish didn't know this. For many of us the clock was running for us as we stood in line waiting to go off. I did email the guy in the charge of the cycling events each day to discuss the incorrect times. I pointed out that it didn't seem real logical that on the 10k I would have ridden 29 mph (according to them, 28 according to me) and then on the short course have only ridden 24.8 mph instead of 28.5+. He did agree. I've ridden over 400 time trials and managed 60 or 70 myself and rarely have the times been this messed up. I guess they have a year to get if figured out before the national event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy