Friday, July 27, 2012

Senior Olympics 10k time trial

The 10k time trial was held yesterday here in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. The top 4 in each bracket (50-54 on up to 90+) qualify for the nationals games in 2013 also to be held in northern Ohio. The course is fairly flat with a few 2% and 4% rollers and four turns on the rectangular course through Cuyahoga National Park. Going alphabetically I was the last one off in the 50-54. I had my average speed up to 28 mph in the first 1.5 miles. It dipped a little on the long section heading south into the wind (thunderstorms were predicted for later in the day) but I picked it back up on the last section to the finish. I had my time at 13:20 or 28 mph for the 6.2 miles while the official time posted was 12:50. Seems like everyone ended up 30 seconds faster due to a clock issue. My time was good enough for the gold medal by about a minute. Today we have the 5k or 3.1 mile time trial. While I rode 470+ miles in Michigan last week I did work with my coach on tapering over last weekend (several easy indoor rides at 100 watts) and used the Cleves Tuesday Night Time Trial as a pre-race interval to get back in the swing of things. It felt good to ride my best time of the year and one of my top 10 rides ever on Tuesday with a 21:54 for the 10.25 miles course. Tapering can be difficult when we're so used to thinking more is always better but the days off or with very light efforts are the key to getting stronger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy