Friday, August 27, 2010

Riding Clingmans Dome Is So Much Fun

I love riding to Clingmans Dome. From our chalet in Gatlinburg its about 26 miles each way. Other than the initial mile and a half into town and the mile descent before the final ascent a few miles from the top, its all uphill starting 1400' and ending at 6300'. My best time from the chalet is 2:09 which I just did yesterday, August 26, 2010. This was 2 minutes faster than my previous best set in March of 2009. On both rides I did some intervals on the way up with five 8 minute steady states in '09 and one 1:15 tempo yesterday. I use a triple which I find makes the ride much faster, even if that gearing brings a lot of grief from local riders. I like to be able to spin when I'll be climbing for 2+ hours. Copmact gearing would also be a good idea.

I've done this ride in the the of summer, the foggy mornings of fall, and the late snow of spring. It seems like the uphill is always hot, and the downhill cool, at least to Newfound Gap at 5000'. Even in the peak of summer, the temperatures at the top wont exceed the upper 70's and will usually be in the 60's. You'll want to check the weather anytime you're planning this ride as it can turn cold with rain quickly.

I've run into all kinds of riders on this road. I once came down from Clingmans with a guy who was fearless as he hit 50 +mph, and had to keep waiting for me. I once saw an older gentleman on the way up who was probably going no more than 3 mph. I saw him on my descent two hours later and he seemed to have not gone but 5 to 6 miles further. Several hours later while we were in Gatlinburg having dinner I saw him ride through town. He had to have spent 7 hours on the ride. I've seen loaded down touring groups with panniers and trailers. I also ran into a cat 2 female cyclist who had made her first ascent having started in Townsend. This made it a 38 mile trip each way.

Given its proximity to our area, this ride is worth making the trip down I-75. There are also many other roads in the area worth riding from the Gatlingburg to Cades Cove loop, Roaring Fork, TN 416,Gatlinburg to Cherokee, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. If you want more information, contact me. I've been visiting since the erly 1980's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy