Saturday, May 12, 2012

Time Trials So Far in 2012

Its early in the season but I've already ridden in several time trials. At our local Cleves event the first night was canceled due to severe weather but we did ride this past Tuesday. The weather was great with temps in the 70's and a light wind from the south. I rode a 22:27 for the 10.25 mile course or about 27.4 mph. Looking back at my past 15 years on this course this was my fastest first night. We've had two rides at the Blue Streak in Dayton. the first night was very cool (upper 40's) and windy. This past Wednesday was around 60 with a big wind out of the west. I rode a 22:20 and a 21:57 or 26.8 and 27.8 mph. Like my times at Cleves these are near the top of my fastest rides for this time of year. Ideally I'll take off about 50 seconds by the time I peak in mid-summer. I also rode a couple of the Colavita's, one in Casstown and one in Bellbrook. both times were about 28 and 27 mph's respectively and good enough for 1st and 2nd in the age bracket and top 5 overall. Some of the upcoming events include the state tt on July 7, midwest district at the end of July and the Ohio Senior Games also at the end of July. The Senior Games events are 5k and 10k. I'm hoping to hold well above 28 mph on those. Training has been tough. Coach Julia has me riding two days per week doing 6 minute uphill time trial efforts. The first 4 minutes are around 350 watts and the last 2 around 400. Have to admit that I'm not always hitting those, especially on day 2. but, I am feeling pretty strong in the time trials. Riding the intervals in the 92-97% of max heart rate really works. i've also been doing some long rides on Saturday, usually 100 miles plus. I really like those long rides, heart rate zone 1/2, power around 200-220. Great for the body and even more so the mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy