Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hard Training on Consecutive Days

I have had a few people in recent weeks ask if its good or bad idea to train at the upper end of their zones on consecutive days or even over multiple days. In other words do we always need a day off between tough days? Absolutely not. I know that in the schedules I prepare for those I'm coaching and in the schedule my coach sets for me there are many weeks with 3 consecutive days of the same intervals high end intervals. With a day off before and after that block of training you should be fine. I usually find that I ride stronger on the second and third days. the cummulative stress from this training is a real benefit as long as you take the rest days.

This week, and the next few, on my calendar have three consecutive days of multiple steady state efforts (like 3x10 minute) holding about 330 watts. it was just a couple of years ago that I was holding 295-310 for the same efforts. The short term goal is to be able to hold about 365-370 for 14-15 minutes at the next indoor tiem trial and then carry that power into the spring time trials. Multiple efforts over multiple days over several weeks should get us there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy