Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Can't Ride the Peak Wave Forever

Just when you're starting to ride a string of fast times and a set new PR, you get one night that pushes you back. So why would I ride over 30 seconds slower last night than the week before? First, there was a pretty decent head wind on the first half that didn't really seem to pay off on nice tailwind on the second half. It could also be the case that I just wasn't strong enough to take advantage of the tailwind. In the last month, I've ridden the state tt, nationals, almost every Cleves event, all the while averaging about 275 miles per weeek. Eventually, we all just get tired. I'd like to say that not having anyone to chase (I went off alone at 5:45) would be a reason but it really shouldn't matter. I'm ideally riding as hard as possible regardless of who's in front of me.

If I had to pinpiont one area that has been a problem in the last week it has been rest. While I'm taking the required days off the bike, I'm also finding that going to bed at 11:00 and getting up at 5:30 just isn't enough sleep. While on vacation from July 9-17, I averaged about 50 miles per day but also avergaged about 9 hours sleep each night. A recent study showed that athletes who get ten hours per night perform substantially better than those who average 8. Averaging under 7 just isn't going to cut it.

The great thing about Cleves is that we can come back the next week and do it again. I do want to thank Brian and Lisa for letting me go off early so I could make it to the Jackson Browne concert. You're the best!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy