Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cleves Time Trial: Why So Fast This Year?

I have had a number of people ask me why my times at Cleves have been so fast this year. My PR through last year was a 22:05 and my average time was around 22:35 or so. I had 2 or 3 nights in 2008 with time in the 23:00 to 23:15 range. So far in 2009, my slowest time is around 22:45 and I have three times in the 21's with a 21:48, 21:53 and recently a 21:34, the second fastest time ever. Here are some changes I made for 2009:

  • switched from 700x20 tires at 140psi to 700x23 Bontrager Aero TT tires at 120 psi
  • switched from an aluminum/carbon frame to all carbon
  • moved my saddle back about 2 cm beyond the 5cm set back requirement, but still ride on the tip of the saddle, sometimes;
  • lowered my bars just slightly (1/8")
  • brought my elbows as close together as possible with my hands now touching at the end of the bars
  • tried a couple different helmets starting with the Spiuk and now using a LG Rocket TT (I have to thank Frances Manfred for the previous three)
  • increased my power during training by about 2-3% in my steady state and tempo efforts; I think this is simply many years of training coming together, with the indoor winter work playing a key role
  • set my mph goal at Cleves at 28 mph; I used to try for 27 to 27.5; raising the goal is probably been the most important aspect of my increased speed; once I realized I could ride that fast, I've been able to repeat it
  • started using the Ultimate Cyclist self-hypnosis cd; check it out---it can't hurt; its a great way to relax and get motivated about your training and racing; weekly time trials can take it out of you as much mentally as physically; we tend to ingore the mental training; I was skeptical at first but I listen to this once or twice per week
  • started using my time in the gym for true strength training; this means low reps (8-12) using 75% of my one rep max; I also stopped using most of the machines and opt for free weights, plyometrics, and a few very key core exercizes; your speed and endurance come on the bike; strength comes in the gym; I gained strength, and lost 5 lbs
  • sleep: I'm getting more, and making this as important as riding in my schedule
  • having fun: I'll be the first to admit that I get tired of the training and racing; the cd has helped me keep my focus on why I ride, and thats to have fun; when its not fun I'll be finished, and I'm not ready to quite anytime soon

I hope this helps you reach a new PR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy