Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More thoughts on Winter Training

I was talking with Will Peveler, exercise physiologist at NKU, about the increase in strength training that endurance athletes typically incorporate into their training during the winter months. I told him that the people I train/coach all comment that after a workout with plenty of lunges and squats that they can "feel" certain muscles when they ride that they never felt before. This is obviously a good sign that the exercises are stressing muscles used in cycling. Recruiting these muscles is going to be beneficial in adding more power to the pedal stroke. The cycling motion itself is using these muscles but not as completely as the exercises in the gym.

My question to Will was why would the endurance athlete stop these exercises once the race season starts if we know that after just a week to ten days that the muscles will start to revert to their previous condition and after a month it's as though we never did the training at all? I've always kept pretty much the same workout program year-round and taper it along with my time on the bike for key events. Will thought that made sense but he also noted that he couldn't produce any studies that backed it up. I'm going to stick with my year-round strength training. Maybe Will will assign this question to some students. Could be interesting.

Another topic is the idea of using the winter to build base miles with many long, moderate hours on the bike. The one problem with this is the challenge of getting in a lot of hours on the bike in the winter. I'm ok with maybe two hours a day, sometimes three, but I wont ride an indoor century (although its tempting---I'm sure I have enough live Skynyrd and Allman Brothers to go for several days). The most recent TriAthlete Magazine had an atricle by exercise physiologist Matt Dixon. He makes the point that your weekly training should include time in every training zone, from the lowest to highest intensity, to increase your aerobic base and to train your body to use stored body fat. The key is planning how much time in each level and allowing for adequate recovery. the months of January and February have always been my most intense training on the bike, and my coach has been recommending this for the last nine years. The difficult two and three hour rides in the winter usually allow me to get right back into the longer rides in the spring and start racing close to my peak power of the previous year. Ideally we take that peak power a little higher each year right about the time my key events are on the calendar.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, 20 January, 2011 , Blogger gralden said...

Peter, I too have read several articles relating mainly to triathletes that state that strength training has limited effects on increasing the overall performance in all three of the disciplines. This always make me wonder how much real strength training we should be doing all year, just not only in the winter months. One thing that I do know is that last winter when I was doing a lot of hard strength training my performance on the TT bike was the best of the year right when the racing season stated in late March, April and early May and then started dropping off as the year went along. This drop off in performance was also when I started to cut way back on the strength training in favor of more hours on the bike. I do not know if this is typical, but it kind of falls in line with your standard training methods it sounds like, even though some research published in the field does not agree with this. The interesting thing that I have seen from the different research is that when they do the studies, they start with people that have never strength trained before and have then go through maybe 3-9 months of training and then test the bike performance results and see little improvement, so they draw the conclusion that it does not help. I think your performance on the bike indicates that with continued strength training year round (and for several years) as we get older, that performance does increase on the bike, and that it actually does make a person stronger and essentially faster on the bike. Unfortunately strength training is such a controversial subject in the endurance field that opinions really vary on the subject.

 
At Thursday, 27 January, 2011 , Blogger pistolpete said...

I agree. I've kept strength training in my schedule year-round for many years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Home | About Coach | Time Trials & Clinics
Heart Rate Zones | Energy Systems & How To Train Them
Blog | Photos & Other Links | Contact Us


1180 Beverly Hill Drive | 513.207.4269
pwimberg@aol.com
Privacy Policy